ECO Resources: Instrument Crosswalks
In the process of working with states on outcome development and measurement approaches, the ECO Center cross-referenced the functional skills assessed by various published instruments with the three child outcomes required by OSEP for Part B/619 and Part C programs, to assess the degree to which these instruments measure the required outcomes. Crosswalks were generated for instruments based on the frequency of informal requests from states. Priority was also given to instruments that states identified for outcomes measurement in the State Performance Plans submitted to the Office of Special Education Programs in 2005. These crosswalks are presented as a service to the field. The ECO Center does not endorse the use of any specific assessment instrument. Thus, a completed crosswalk does not constitute the endorsement of an instrument. If a crosswalk of an instrument is not available it is because, given the reality of finite resources, it has not yet been completed. For more information about crosswalk content or specific instruments, please email a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This short paper provides information regarding the purpose and intended uses of the crosswalks and outlines the guidelines followed by the ECO Center when crosswalking instruments to the three child outcomes.
- Introduction to Instrument Crosswalks [137K PDF] - Revised Oct. 2, 2006
Provided below in alphabetical order are several instrument crosswalks developed by the ECO Center. This list represents the assessment tool crosswalks most commonly requested by states. The ECO Center does not endorse the use of any specific assessment instrument.
- Ages and Stages (ASQ) [112K PDF] - May 9, 2006
NOTE: Ages & Stages is a screening questionnaire designed to identify children in need of additional assessment for possible developmental delays. As such, it is appropriate to use it to show that children presumed to be developing typically are continuing to develop typically. It is not appropriate to use this tool to assess outcomes for children with known delays or disabilities.
- Assessment, Evaluation, and Programming System for Infants and Children (AEPS) Second Edition - Birth to 3 Years [59K PDF]*- June 27, 2007
- Assessment, Evaluation, and Programming System for Infants and Children (AEPS) Second Edition - 3 to 6 Years [55K PDF]* - June 27, 2007
- Battelle Developmental Inventory - Second Edition (BDI-2) [46K PDF] - Revised Oct. 10, 2007
- Brigance Diagnostic Inventory of Early Development-II (IED-II) [91K PDF] -July 3, 2006
- Carolina Curriculum for Infants and Toddlers with Special Needs (CCITSN) [58K PDF] - July 29, 2009
- Carolina Curriculum for Preschoolers with Special Needs (CCPSN) [53K PDF] - Dec. 13, 2006
- The Creative Curriculum Developmental Continuum for Ages 3-5 [49K PDF] - Revised March 6, 2006
- Developmental Assessment of Young Children (DAYC) [48K PDF] - Dec. 8, 2006
- Early Learning Accomplishment Profile (ELAP) [55K PDF] - Revised Oct. 3, 2006
- Hawaii Early Learning Profile (HELP® Birth-3) [85K PDF] - Jan. 27, 2006
- HELP® for Preschoolers [79K PDF] - May 9, 2006
- High/Scope COR Infant Toddler [43K PDF] - Updated March 7, 2007
- High/Scope Preschool COR [41K PDF] - Updated March 7, 2007
- Indicators of Individual Growth and Development for Infants and Toddlers (IGDI) [43K PDF] -July 3, 2006
- Learning Accomplishment Profile 3 (LAP-3) [50K PDF] - Revised Oct. 3, 2006
- Teaching Strategies Gold (TS Gold) [95K PDF]- October, 2012
- The Ounce Scale [88K PDF] - Dec. 21, 2005
- Work Sampling System [88K PDF] - Dec. 21, 2005
* Note: These crosswalks developed by the ECO Center differ from those being used by the publisher and/or developers. Crosswalks developed by the ECO Center are based upon our expertise regarding the intended content focus of the 3 outcomes and a consistent set of rules that we developed and have uniformly applied to the crosswalks of all tools posted on our site. The publisher or developer's crosswalk is based on a different set of rules. For more information about the ECO Center 's rules guiding crosswalking decisions or other questions related to this matter, please e-mail us at staff@the-ECO-center.org
The ECO Center has draft crosswalks for a number of assessment tools that are not listed above. While all drafts have been developed using a consistent process, only those most frequently requested by states have undergone the extensive review, content analysis, and the examination for consistency that we require before we post a crosswalk on this site.
To request a crosswalk that is under development or for other assessment tools not listed, please contact email@example.com . Your comments are valued. Your requests will contribute to our future decision-making about the continued usefulness of crosswalks and the extent to which we should devote limited resources to expanding and refining the number of crosswalks posted on the site.